Are you planning to build your own personal website? Or perhaps you want to get a domain for your business. That is easy. If you do not have a budget yet for a glamorous website design, you can always go for something simple but still attractive enough. If this is your first time, this is the article that will teach you how to purchase a domain name in the simplest possible way.
You should know that if you want a domain name for whatever reason you have in mind, you need some important things first. We will talk about it later, but first, you have to be aware that buying and managing a website requires time, money, and effort. Let’s put a big emphasis on the effort if it is a commercial website that you are after.
What is a domain name?
According to internet terms, it is an identification string in which defines a realm of authority and control. It is more like an easy-to-remember character string rather than using a straight IP address. But as for layman’s term, domain names are the names of those websites that you visit such as Facebook.com, or SoftAlien.co.
In your term as a beginner, it is going to be the address of your website whatever naming you give it. You can use the name of your business, your personal name, or a clever name that you think might be clever enough for people to easily remember.
Never mistake a domain name from URL. They are different in many terms. The domain name is a part of a larger internet address that is URL. Here is an example of URLs:
The domain name is only the jiofi-local-html.com. If you add content, your domain name will have extended characters or name on it.
Preparation to purchase a domain name
Before you can purchase a domain name, you will need to prepare the following:
- A hosting package
- Online funds
If you do not have a hosting yet, you must purchase one. There are low-priced hosting packages ranging from $2 to $5 depending on the level of package and leasing period.
Yes, you can avail of hosting and domain name for a time period. Let’s say for hosting, you can avail one on a monthly basis. And for your domain name, you can purchase an annual fee. Domain names are usually cheaper than hosting because they are just an address for internet content or file. On the other hand, the Hosting is the storage much similar to your hard drive or memory card on your smartphone.
How to purchase a domain name
Now we will tell you the simplest way for you to understand how to purchase a domain name. This will be brief so try to follow the steps exactly as they are.
- First of all, think of a few good names for a domain. It should be catchy, easy to remember, and somehow a bit unique. Try not to go for more popular names as they are a lot expensive. So the rarer the name, the cheaper it is to buy. Prepare at least 10 names just so in case that your chosen name is already taken.
- Since this is an online transaction, you must have a credit card or at least a PayPal as your mode of payment.
- Now go to your preferred domain name vendor. The most popular ones are GoDaddy, HostGator, and BlueHost. If you already know a domain name vendor other than these three examples, you may go for it.
- Use the names that you already prepared. Use the search feature of the registrar that you chose. In this case. let’s use GoDaddy.
- And if the name you want is available then purchase it. The site will give you other variations of your preferred domain name. Most of the time it will be shown with different suffixes such as .com, .edu, .org, .net, and more. Choose whichever you want. As you may see, the more uncommon the domain name is, the cheaper the price.
- After you have chosen your domain name, you will have to choose how many years you want that domain name. The contract usually offers a 1-year plan. So start with that if you are uncertain about the future of the site.
- Now select which packages that you want to go along with your domain name. You can add privacy package or you can decline and continue.
- Proceed to check out.
- Now register your domain name to your preferred hosting site. That is assuming that you already have a hosting site where you can put your new domain name. Otherwise, it will just stay as a parked domain inside GoDaddy for now.
- That’s it. You may now set it up with WordPress and put contents in it.
If you are not sure about what to do with your domain name and hosting, try and train yourself first to use free domain services such as WordPress, Wix, Weebly, or Squarespace. After you get familiarized with how websites properly work, you can then move on to actually having your own personal domain name.